As a parent of a child with several life-threatening food allergies, Halloween has always been an especially scary holiday. Considering the fact that 1 in every 13 children have a food allergy, there are three challenges that make Halloween extra tricky to navigate. Trick #1: Halloween candy has many common allergens. Many of the most […]
WRITTEN BY: Laura Stanton, Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Sciences, Ohio State University Extension, Warren County.
REVIEWED BY: Laura Halladay, Extension Educator, Family and Consumer Sciences, Ohio State University Extension, Greene County.
- Halloween image by rawpixel.
- Teal Pumpkin Project from Food Allergy Research and Education (FARE).
- American Academy of Pediatrics. (2019, September 24). Avoid a Food Allergy Scare on Halloween. Retrieved from https://www.healthychildren.org/English/health-issues/injuries-emergencies/Pages/Avoid-Food-Allergy-Scare-on-Halloween.aspx
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2020, June 8). Food Allergies. Retreived from https://www.cdc.gov/healthyschools/foodallergies/index.htm
- Davis, C. Q. (2012, October 30) Fun-size candies aren’t so fun anymore. Retrieved from https://scienceline.org/2012/10/fun-size-candies-arent-so-fun-anymore/
- Kleiner, R. (2019, October 28). 7 Ways to Make Halloween Safer for Kids with Food Allergies. Retrieved from https://www.eatright.org/health/lifestyle/holidays/7-ways-to-make-halloween-safer-for-kids-with-food-allergies