The World Health Organization (WHO) recently released the International Agency for Research on Cancer’s (IARC) report classifying processed meat as “carcinogenic to humans” and red meat as “probably carcinogenic to humans.” The topic appeared all over the media and raised more questions than answers. This post is intended to help LSO readers understand the report’s implications. An understanding […]
WRITTEN BY: Shawna Hite, Healthy People Program Specialist
REVIEWED BY: Dan Remley, Assistant Professor, Field Specialist: Food, Nutrition, and Wellness & Amanda Woods, Healthy Finances Program Specialist
- Indiana Department of Education. Guide to Processed Meats/ Meat Products/ Cheeses.
- International Agency for Research on Cancer: Agents Classified by the IARC Monographs, Volumes 1-114. ( October, 2015).
- International Agency for Research on Cancer: IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of Carcinogenic Risks to Humans. (2015).
- U.S. Department of Agriculture: All about the Protein Foods Group. (August 2015).
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: National Dietary Guidelines (December 2015).
- World Health Organization: IARC- International Agency for Research on Cancer. (2015.)
- Bouvard, V., Loomis, D., Guyton, K. Z., Grosse, Y., Ghissassi, F. E., Benbrahim-Tallaa, L., ... & Monograph Working Group. (2015). Carcinogenicity of consumption of red and processed meat. The Lancet. Oncology.
- Chan, D. S., Lau, R., Aune, D., Vieira, R., Greenwood, D. C., Kampman, E., & Norat, T. (2011). Red and processed meat and colorectal cancer incidence: meta-analysis of prospective studies. PloS one, 6(6), e20456.
- Cross, A. J., Leitzmann, M. F., Gail, M. H., Hollenbeck, A. R., Schatzkin, A., & Sinha, R. (2007). A prospective study of red and processed meat intake in relation to cancer risk. PLoS Med, 4(12), e325.
- Santarelli, R. L., Pierre, F., & Corpet, D. E. (2008). Processed meat and colorectal cancer: a review of epidemiologic and experimental evidence. Nutrition and cancer, 60(2), 131-144.
- World Health Organization (October 29, 2015). IARC Monographs evaluate consumption of red meat and processed meat. WHO Press Release No. 240. Retrieved from: http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/pr/2015/pdfs/pr240_E.pdf
- World Health Organization (October 29, 2015). Links between processed meat and colorectal cancer. WHO statement. Retrieved from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2015/processed-meat-cancer/en/
- World Health Organization (October 2015). Q&A on the carcinogenicity of the consumption of red meat and processed meat. Retrieved from: http://www.who.int/features/qa/cancer-red-meat/en/