When the word just is used as an adverb it means simply or only. Sometimes just is used to indicate lesser importance. The phrase “just breathe” might seem simple or inconsequential but the message of just breathe or simply breathe can benefit most people. Breathing is a wonderfully complex and essential human function. We are […]
WRITTEN BY: Patrice Powers-Barker, Family and Consumer Sciences Educator, Ohio State University Extension, Lucas County
REVIEWED BY: Melinda Hill, Family and Consumer Sciences Educator, Ohio State University Extension, Wayne County
- Powers-Barker, P.
- Bishop, S.R., Lau, M., Shapiro, S., Carlson, L., Anderson, N.D., Carmody, J., Degal, Z.V., Abbey, S., Speca, M., Velting, D., & Devins, G. (2004) Mindfulness: A proposed operational definition. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 11, 230-241.
- Harvard Health Publishing (2016), Relaxation techniques: Breath control helps quell errant stress response. Retrieved from http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/relaxation-techniques-breath-control-helps-quell-errant-stress-response
- Peterson, L. A. (2017) Decrease stress by using your breath, Mayo Clinic http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/decrease-stress-by-using-your-breath/art-20267197
- Powers-Barker, P. (2016). Introduction to Mindfulness. HYG-5243, Ohioline, Ohio State University Extension. Available at https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/hyg-5243-0
- Wielgosz, J., Schuyler, B. S., Lutz, A., & Davidson, R. (2016). Long-term mindfulness training is associated with reliable differences in resting respiration rate. Scientific Reports, 6: 27533. Doi: 10.1038/srep27533.