Stress has been identified as significantly impacting our mental and physical health for decades. In fact, the American Psychological Association’s (APA’s) surveys on American stress show that 4 major factors are consistently reported as major causes of stress: money, work, family, and health. It is important to be aware of stress factors, but also our abilities to deal with […]
WRITTEN BY: Shawna Hite, Healthy People Program Specialist
REVIEWED BY: Pat Holmes, Extension Educator, Montgomery County
- American Heart Association (July 2014). Four ways to deal with stress: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/StressManagement/FourWaystoDealWithStress/Four-Ways-to-Deal-with-Stress_UCM_307996_Article.jsp#.VpVIH_krLIU
- American Psychological Assocation (2010). Managing stress for a healthy family: http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/managing-stress.aspx
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (October 2015). Coping with stress: http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/pub/coping_with_stress_tips.html
- Harvard Health Publications (January 2015). Relaxation techniques: Breath control helps quell errant stress response: http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/relaxation-techniques-breath-control-helps-quell-errant-stress-response
- OSU Extension, Live Smart Ohio (2015). MIndful Extension: http://livesmartohio.osu.edu/mindful-extension/
- Anderson, N., Belar, C., Breckler, S., Nordal K., Ballard D., Bufka, L.,... Wiggins, K., ( February 2015). Stress in America: Paying with our health. American Psychological Association. Retrieved from: https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/stress/2014/stress-report.pdf
- Countryside Recreation Network. (2006) A Countryside for Health and Wellbeing: The Physical and Mental Health Benefits of Green Exercise [Online]. Available from: http://www.thehealthwell.info/node/3900 [Accessed: 14th January 2016].
- Jacubowski, A., Abeln, V., Vogt, T., Yi, B., Choukèr, A., Fomina, E., & ... Schneider, S. (2015). The impact of long-term confinement and exercise on central and peripheral stress markers. Physiology & Behavior, 152(Pt A), 106-111. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2015.09.017
- Ozbeyli, D., Gokalp, A. G., Koral, T., Ocal, O. Y., Dogan, B., Akakin, D., & ... Kasimay, O. (2015). Protective effect of exercise and sildenafil on acute stress and cognitive function. Physiology & Behavior, 151230-237. doi:10.1016/j.physbeh.2015.07.030
- Schneiderman, N., Ironson, G., & Siegel, S. D. (2005). Stress and health: psychological, behavioral, and biological determinants. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology, 1, 607.
- Vella, E. J., Milligan, B., & Bennett, J. L. (2013). Participation in outdoor recreation program predicts improved psychosocial well-being among veterans with post-traumatic stress disorder: A pilot study. Military Medicine, 178(3), 254-260. doi:10.7205/MILMED-D-12-00308- Nature/ the outdoors/ being outside may aid in dealing with stressful situations
- Watson, D., & Pennebaker, J. W. (1989). Health complaints, stress, and distress: exploring the central role of negative affectivity. Psychological review, 96(2), 234
- Westlund, S. (2015). 'Becoming human again': Exploring connections between nature and recovery from stress and post-traumatic distress. Work: Journal Of Prevention, Assessment & Rehabilitation, 50(1), 161-174.