It’s raining, and I move closer to the open patio door to take it all in. The sound, smell, and feel of the rain refresh and comfort me. My cats join me, adding to the experience of harmony and relaxation.
The wonderful thing about rain is you don’t need to see it to experience its benefits; your other senses are affected as well. There is the soothing sound, the smell of earth and freshness, the feel of cold and warm wetness, and the mindfulness of renewal.
Our connection to rain is so powerful that we have captured the sound so we can experience it whenever we want (or need to) for its benefits. There are internet websites and YouTube videos that tailor rain sounds for relaxation, concentration, meditation, and sleeping. Some people like to hear rain sounds mixed with music or nature sounds.
Universities recommend listening to nature sounds to aid in stress reduction, relaxation, and sleep. A tip for soothing a crying, colicky baby is to provide steady background noise such as gentle rain. Individuals that have tinnitus (ringing in the ears) are encouraged to listen to “white noise machines” that produce environmental sounds to aid in sleeping.
Here are a few comments people have made on webpages that feature rain sounds.
- So relaxing!
- I got a headache from homework and this helped it. 🙂
- I love this so much I listen to it every night.
- It calms me down when I’m having an anxiety attack.
- Does anyone else put this on while ur doing ur homework?
- I am living in a loud house; once I put this on I’m in heaven.
- I love it.
- Thanks! This is really relaxing. I completed all my hw that would take hours and did it in just 45 minutes!
- Ah, nothing like a nice bit of rain to break the heaviness of the spring heat. Not too cold, not too hot, just right.
- Sweet dreams everyone. ZZZZ!!!
Are you someone who enjoys listening to the rain? There are numerous smart phone apps and website links to provide the sound if Mother Nature doesn’t cooperate. Check out a few of the links listed below and explore what is out there. There are also sound machines or clocks providing the sound of rain in stores and on-line.
Website rain sounds:
Downloadable free rain sounds:
If asked, most of us would say we prefer real time rain sound to recorded options. However, it’s nice to know we have the capability to reap the benefits of falling rain anytime.