You’ve probably heard it said that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but making time for breakfast can be a challenge! As a working adult or busy parent, getting out the door in the morning may be a struggle, and sitting down to a meal may seem ideal but impossible.
Eating breakfast in the morning is important for many reasons. A morning meal provides energy for the day and can help with weight management. If you don’t eat breakfast at home in the morning, it can be tempting to stop and buy fast food on the way into work, which can be hard on both your wallet and waistline over time. With a little planning ahead, though, you can easily set up a “grab and go” breakfast to fuel your morning and avoid the drive-through. Here are some ideas for breakfast that you could take on the go:
- Yogurt parfaits. Buy a quart-size carton of plain, non-fat yogurt and scoop individual portions into portable storage containers. Add fresh or frozen chopped fruit or berries and granola.
- Overnight oats. Combine dry oatmeal with a liquid of your choice (water, milk, soy or almond milk, etc.) in a mason jar or portable storage container and leave in the fridge overnight. Add toppings as desired (brown sugar, dry fruit, nuts, etc.) and enjoy hot or cold.
- Muffins. Make a batch of your favorite fruit-filled muffins and freeze what you aren’t able to eat right away. Grab a muffin for breakfast on your way out the door.
- Muffin-tin frittatas. Make a batch of frittatas in a muffin tin for a pre-portioned breakfast option. Freeze what you’re not able to use right away.
- Peanut butter and jelly. Make this classic sandwich the night before so it’s ready in the morning.
- Dry cereal. Measure single servings of cereal and store in plastic bags or plastic storage containers so they’re ready to grab and go.
If you do make a habit of eating out for breakfast, look for healthier fast food options that are low in fat and high in fiber. Also, pay attention to the coffee drinks you may order out – the calories and sugar in these beverages add up, too! On that note, MyPlate, MyWins offers tips to redo your coffee shop stop.
How do you enjoy a wholesome breakfast on the go? Comment below with your ideas!